Program: InterExchange Au Pair USA
Start Date: ASAP
Salary: $700 per orientation week
Job Description: Au Pair USA is a leading international au pair placement program run by InterExchange, a non-profit cultural exchange organization located in the SoHo neighborhood of New York City. We are currently seeking a part-time child development instructor to conduct 12 hours per week of classroom style training for newly arrived international au pairs during each scheduled arrival session (26 per year). All instruction will take place at our orientation site at a hotel in Midtown Manhattan. Participants are aged 18- 26 years old, come from various countries, and have varying levels of English ability and prior childcare experience. The successful candidate for this position will help us to further develop the curriculum for these sessions in order to provide up-to-date and useful childcare information for our au pair participants.
During orientation weeks, candidates need to be available to work the following schedule:
Tuesday: 1pm -- 4:30pm
Thursday: 8:30 am-4:00pm
Sessions take place 3-4 weeks per month during the busier summer season (June-August) and 1-2 weeks per month throughout the remainder of the year.
• Learning and adhering to Department of State program regulations and InterExchange Au Pair USA policies and procedures.
• Conducting twelve hours of child development training per orientation week, at least four hours of which will be focused on children under the age of two.
• Developing an interesting and inclusive lesson format using a variety of instruction tools and activities.
• Providing content evaluations to ensure measurable results for participants.
• Communicating concerns to headquarters team members.
• College graduate, child development degree preferred
• Studied or worked as a child care/child development professional
• Curriculum development experience
• Teaching experience in a classroom setting
• Experience working with non-native English speakers a plus
• Interests (and/or background) in international cultural exchange
• Strong public speaking abilities
• Professional but relaxed manner
• Understands the childcare needs and solutions of busy working families
• Open-minded to people of all ethnic, cultural and religious backgrounds
• Flexible schedule
• Flexible personality, adaptable
• Able to maintain a professional yet warm demeanor while upholding InterExchange Au Pair USA's standards and program guidelines
• Organized and possesses up-to-date computer and administrative skills
• Legal to work in the US
• New York City Resident preferred
• Lifting: 0-25 lbs (boxes of training supplies necessary for orientation)
• Frequency of lifting: infrequent
Visual, Hearing, Dexterity & Mental Demands:
Adequate to perform the essential functions of the job such as using a telephone, answering emails, filing paperwork, viewing a computer screen, and operating office equipment.
The duties and responsibilities are generally performed in a hotel meeting room environment. The position generally involves frequent standing; continuous sitting; frequent walking; light to moderate lifting; light carrying; frequent bending and reaching; keyboarding and telephone operation; in-person communication.
Organization Profile: InterExchange is a private, non-profit organization with more than 40 years of experience in international cultural exchange. We are dedicated to promoting international understanding through development and implementation of affordable intercultural and life experiential work/training opportunities. By participating in our programs both in the U.S. and abroad, tens of thousands of young people have gained insight into other cultures. InterExchange is designated by the U.S. government to sponsor several J-1 Visa exchange programs including Au Pair USA, Work & Travel USA, Camp USA and Career Training USA. Program participants are placed in the U.S. and abroad by InterExchange in cooperation with foreign partner organizations and government agencies. Additionally, we offer Work Abroad opportunities for Americans seeking similar experience overseas.
For more specific program information, please visit www.interexchange.org/aupairusa
To apply, submit your resume and cover letter to the email address above. You may also fax your application to 212-924-0575. Attn: Human Resources.
Your cover letter must include a reason why you would be suitable for this position and for InterExchange. Applicants who do not follow the above instructions will not be considered.